education and training
- medical school: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- internship: C.S. Mott Children's Hospital, Ann Arbor, MI
- residency: C.S. Mott Children's Hospital, Ann Arbor, MI
- fellowship: Pediatric pulmonology, James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, Indianapolis, IN
- board certification: American Board of Pediatrics Sub-board in Pediatric Pulmonology
publications and presentations
printed scholarship articles
- Azithromycin for Early Pseudomonas Infection in Cystic Fibrosis. The OPTIMIZE Randomized Trial. Mayer-Hamblett N, Retsch-Bogart G, Kloster M, Accurso F, Rosenfeld M, Albers G, Black P, Brown P, Cairns A, David SD, Graff GR, Kerby GS, Orenstein D, Buckingham R, Ramsey BW, OPTIMIZE Study Group (including Mueller GA). Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2018 Nov 1;198 (9):1177-1187
- Efficacy and safety of lumacaftor and ivacaftor in patients aged 6-11 years with cystic fibrosis homozygous for F508del-CFTR: a randomized, placedo-controlled phase 3 trial. Ratjen F, Hug C, Marigowda G, Tian S, Huang X, Stanojevic S, Milla CE, Robinson PD, Waltz D, Davies JC; VX14-809-109 investigator group (including Mueller GA). Lancet Respir Med. 2017 Jul;5(7):557-567
- Associations Between Parental Health Literacy, Use of Asthma Management Plans, and Child's Asthma Control. Brigham EL, Goldenberg L, Stolfi A, Mueller GA, Forbis SG. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2016 Feb;55(2):111-7
- Cystic Fibrosis Pulmonary Guidelines: Prevention and Eradication of Initial Pseudomonas aeruginosa Infection. Mogavzel PJ, et al, and the Pulmonary Clinical Practice Guidelines Committee (including Mueller GA). Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2014 Dec;11(10):1640-50.
- Standard care versus protocol based therapy for new onset Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cystic fibrosis. Mayer-Hamblett N, Rosenfeld M, Treggiari MM, Konstan MW, Retscg-Bogart G, Morgan W, Wagener J, Gibson RL, Khan U, Emerson J, Thompson V, Elkin EP, Ramsey BW, EPIC;ESCF Investigators (including Mueller GA). Pediatr Pulmonol. 2013 Oct;48(10):943-53
- Mueller GA, Wolf S, Bacon E, Forbis S, Langdon L, Lemming, C. Contemporary Topics in Pediatric Pulmonology for the Primary Care Clinician. Current Problems in Pediatric and Adolescent Health Care, July 2013; Vol 43:6, pp 129-160.
- Mogavzel PJ, Naureckas ET, Robinson KA, Mueller G, Hadjiliadis D, Hoag JB, Lubsch L, Hazle L, Sabadosa K, Marshall B, and the Pulmonary Clinical Practice Guidelines Committee. Cystic Fibrosis Pulmonary Guidelines: Chronic Medications for the Maintenance of Lung Health. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, April 1, 2013; Vol 187, Iss 7, pp 680-689.
- Comparative efficacy and safety of 4 randomized regimens to treat early Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection in children with cystic fibrosis. Treggiari MM, Retsch-Bogart G, Mayer-Hamblett N, Khan U, Kulich M, Kronmal R, William J, Hiatt P, Gibson RL, Spencer T, Orenstein D, Chatfield BA, Froh DK, Burns JL, Rosenfeld M, Ramsey BW; Early Pseudomonas Infection Control (EPIC) Investigators (including Mueller GA). Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2011 Sep;165(9):847-56.
- Initial Pseudomonas aeruginosa treatment failure is associated with exacerbations in cystic fibrosis. Mayer-Hamblett N, Kronmal RA, Gibson RL, Rosenfeld M, Retsch-Bogart G, Treggiari MM, Burns JL, Khan U, Ramsey BW; EPIC Investigators (including Mueller GA). Pediatr Pulmonol. 2012 Feb;47(2):125-34
- Mueller GA, Pickoff AS. Pediatric Lymphocytic Interstitial Pneumonitis in an HIV-Negative child with PulmonaryEpstein-Barr Virus Infection. Pediatric Pulmonology, 2003.
- Mueller GA, Bronchoscopy is indicated for all children with stridor-con position. J. of Bronchology; 7:4, October 2000, pp. 343-348.
- Mueller GA, Quinlan WM, Doyle NA, Doerschuk CM. The role of cytoskeletal proteins in neutrophil emigration during pneumonia in rabbits. Am J of Resp & Crit Care Med; 150:2, 1994, pp. 455-461.
- Mueller GA. Sedation and Analgesia in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. CMC Forum. Summer Quarter 1994, pp. 4-9.
- Mueller GA, Eigen H. Pulmonary Function Testing in Pediatric Practice. Pediatric in Review; 15:10, 1994, pp 403-411.
- Stark JM, Mueller GA. Lung Defense: Intrinsic, Innate, and Adaptive. Kendig's Disorders of the Respiratory Tract in Children. 8th Edition. Editors: Chernick, Boat, Wilmott, and Bush. Saunders Elsevier
- Mueller GA, Eigen H. Pulmonary Function Testing. In Finberg L. (editor): Saunders Manual of Pediatric Practice. 1997 (revised, 2001). Chapter 213, pp. 669-673.
- Mueller GA, Eigen H. Pediatric Pulmonary Function Testing in Asthma. Pediatric Clincis of North America, Childhood Asthma. December 1992, 39:6, pp. 1243-1258.
- Brewer GJ, Mueller GA, Brewer LF, Dick RD. A search for the primary biochemical effect of the Dpg gene: Does this influence cellular aging? Cellular and Molecular Aspects of Aging: The Red Cell as a Model. 1985, New York, NY. Alan R. Liss, Inc.
- Forbis SG, goldenberg LE, Brgham E, Stolfi A, Mueller GA. "The Association Between Health Literacy, Ability to Use Written Asthma Management Plans and Asthma Control". Pediatric Academic Society, Vancouver, Canada, May, 2010.
- Goldenberg LE, Forbis SG, Brigham E, Stolfi A, Mueller GA. "Parental Ability to Correctly use Written Asthma Management Plans". Pediatric Academic Society, Vancouver, Canada, May 2010.
- Castile R, Mueller G, Long F, Fucke R, Baker B, Clifford B. "Effects of Nebulized Recombinant Human Deoxyribonuclease (Dornase Alfa) in Infants with Cystic Fibrosis Evaluated using Infant Pulmonary Function Testing and High Resolution Computerized Tomographic Imaging of the Chest". 23rd Annual North American CF Conference, Oct 2009. Pediatric Pulmonology Supplement, 2009.
- Forbis F, Rammel J, Stolfi A, Mueller G. "Chronic Asthma Symptom Questionnaire Validation Study", E-PAS2007:616310.12, Pediatric Academic Societies' Annual Meeting, Toronto, May 2007.
- Mueller GA, Stolfi A, Langdon L, Driscol C, Fink RJ. "Increase in Percent Change Per Year FEV1 Described by Starting FEVI and Age at a CF Center with High Rates of Chronic Therapy Use". North American CF Conference, Nov 2006. Pediatric Pulmonology, Supplement, 2006.
- Langdon L, Driscol C, Stolfi A, Fink R, Royce F, Mueller GA, Onady G, Lemming C, Butschillinger, Nelson, s. "Caregivers' Perception of Lung Function: Are We Seeing the Real Picture?" North American CF Conference. Nov. 2006. Pediatric Pulmonology. Supplement, 2006.
- Mueller GA, Steffan ME, Royce FR. Bronchopulmonary Candidiasis in a Pediatric Cystic Fibrosis Center. Pediatric Pulmonology, Supplement 25, 2003, p. 312.
- Mueller GA, Ciarlariello S. Severity scoring added to a bronchiolitis practice guideline decreases bronchodilator use without adverse effect. Am J of Resp and Crit Care Med; 161:3, March 2000, A340.
- Herbert L, Blankenhorn P, Ciariello S, and Mueller GA. Pediatric quality improvement asthma care program decreases length of stay. Am J of Resp and Crit Care Med; 16:3, March 2000, A346.
- Mueller GA, Rubins G, Wessell D, and Hopson R. Effects of Dornase Alfa (rh-DNase) on pulmonary function tests in infacts with cystic fibrosis. Am J of Resp and Crit Care Med; 153:4, part 2, 1996, A70.
- Mueller GA, Quinlan WM, Doyle NA, Doerschuk CM. The effect of phalloidin on neutrophil emigration induced by S. pneumonia in rabbit lungs. Am Rev Resp Dis; 147:4, April 1993, A472.
- Mueller GA, Quinlan WM, Doerschuk CM. Colchicine decreases neutrophil migration but not margination induced by S. pneumona in the rabbit lung. Am Rev Resp Dis; 145:4, April 1992, A694.
- Burdi AR, Mueller GA. Effects of maternal alcoholism, smoking, and drugs on human fetal organ weights. Clinical Research; 31:4, 1983, A815.
- Mueller GA, Presenter/Panel Discussion: "9 Smart Change Ideas of Pulmonary Care" Learning and Leading Collaborative V 21st Annual North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference, Anaheim, CA. October 3, 2007
- Mueller GA, Lemming C, Langdon L, DeGraaf M, Huffman B, Onady G. Learning and Leading Collaborative V; Enhanced Cystic Fibrosis Pulmonary Care Through Quarterly Clinic Visits. 21st Annual North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference, Anaheim, CA. Oral Presentation, October 2007.
- Royce RH and Mueller GA "Should Lobectomy be Performed When Cystic Fibrosis-Associated Lung Disease is Focal and Rapidly Progressive?", Physicians Grand Rounds, north American CF Conference, Nov 2006.
- Mueller GA "Epstein-Barr Virus Associated Lymphocytic Interstital Pneumonitis". Pediatric Clinical Chest Radiology Rounds. The 96th International Conference of the American Thoracic Society. May 10, 2000. Toronto, Canada.
- Mueller GA "Non-caseating Granulomas and Interstitial Lung Disease in an 8 Year Old Boy with Common Varible Immunodeficiency." Pediatric Clinical Chest Radiology Rounds. The 96th International Conference of the American Thoracic Society. May 10, 2000. Toronto, Canada.
- Mueller GA "A one year old with cystic fibrosis with initial presentation as acute respiratory failure of unkown etiology." Fifth Annual North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference. Cystic fibrosis case presentation for clinical fellows. October 3, 1991. Dallas, Texas.
- Asthma acation Plans: Can parents Really Ue Them? Dept of Ped Pul, Univ of Mich, Ann Arbor, MI, April 2011.
- Session Moderator. Pulmonary-systemic syndromes. Ohio Thoracic Society Annual Conference. September 12, 1998. Cambridge, Ohio.
- "A 16 year old female with cough, myalgia,and upper lobe cavities." Case Presentation. Ohio Thoracic Society Annual Conference. September 12, 1998. Cambridge, Ohio.
- Session Moderator. Interstitial Lung Disease. Ohio Thoracic Society Annual Conference. September, 1997. Cambridge, Ohio.
- "A 15 year old with clubbing and hemoptysis." Case presentation. Ohio Thoracic Society Annual Conference. September 1997. Cambridge, Ohio.
- "Management of Asthma and the NAEPP 2007 Guidelines" Presentation to the Respiratory Therapy Training Program, Kettering College for the Medical Arts, Kettering, OH. January 21, 2010.
- "Options for Therapy in Pediatric Chronic Asthma". Grand Rounds, Upper Valley Medical Center, Troy, OH August 2002.
- "Pediatric Asthma Management". A CME course for the ALA of Southwest Ohio, May 18, 2002.
- "Combination therapy in chronic asthma: rationale and research." Marriott Center North East, Cincinnati, Ohio, May 18, 2001.
- "Pediatric Bronchiolitis." Grand Rounds, Wilson Memorial Hospital. Sidney, Ohio. February 26, 2001.
- "Inhaled steroid use in chronic asthma of infants and children: efficacy and safety." The Marriott Center, Cincinnati, Ohio. November 2000.
- "Asthma Roadways Program". American Lung Association, Miami Valley Region. Community asthma education project. October, 1997.
- "The Pharmacology of Treatment for Chronic Asthma and Status Asthmaticus", Grand Rounds. Dayton Children's Medical Center, Dayton, OH. Yearly from July 2008 to present.
- "Pediatric Respiratory Care Update: Respiratory Therapist Patient Driven Protocols" Respiratory Therapy CME Presentation, Dayton Children's Hospital, April, 2008
- "Pediatric Respiratory Care Update: Management of Small Airway Obstructive Disorders" Respiratory Therapy CME Presentation, Dayton Children's Hospital, April, 2008
- "Asthma Overview, Treatment, and Review of the 2007 NIH Asthma Guidelines" Regional CME Event, Dayton Children's Hospital, March, 2008
- "Pediatric Asthma Care Update-2008" Nursing CME Presentation, Dayton Children's Hospital, March, 2008.
- "Management of Status Asthmaticus". Grand Rounds/Acute Care Symposium. The Children's Medical Center, Dayton, OH Presented Yearly, July, 2002 to present
- "Newborn Screening for cystic Fibrosis in Ohio", Grand Rounds, DAyton Children's Hospital, Dayton, OH March 2007.
- "Pediatric Asthma Update: Helping Children Breathe Easier" CME Conference. Children's Medical Center and Wright State University School of Medicine. Dayton, OH. May 2005
- "Current Management of Pediatric and Infant Asthma" Update in Clinical Asthma Management 2004. CME Conference. October 23, 2004, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio.
- "Pediatric Pulmonary Function Testing, Clinical Application" CME presentation for The Respiratory Care Dept., The Children's Medical Center, Dayton, OH. June 2003.
- "Pediatric Asthma Management". Dayton Chapter American Lung Association. May 18, 2002.
- "Status asthmaticus: diagnosis and treatment." Acute Care Symposium, Children's Medical Center, Dayton, Ohio. July, 2001.
- "Pediatric asthma-Management update." Grand Runds, Miami Valley Hospital. Dayton, Ohio. February 8, 2001.
- "Update on bronchiolitis." Grand Rounds, Children's Medical Center. Dayton, Ohio. January 3, 2001.
- "The wheezing infant." Grand Rounds, Children's Medical Center. Dayton, Ohio. November 1999.
- "The current management of asthma." Clark State Community College of Allied Health Education Conference. Dayton, Ohio. May 6, 1999.
- "Pediatric lung disease in adults." The Dayton Lung Days Annual Pulmonary Care Conference. American Lung Association, Lung Chapter. Dayton, Ohio. March, 1999.
- "Diagnosis of cystic fibrosis." Symposium: Adult Care Issues in Cystic Fibrosis. Miami Valley Hospital, Dayton, Ohio. October 28, 1998.
- "New medications in pediatric respiratory care." Children's Medical Center Respiratory Therapy Continuing Education Conference. Dayton, Ohio. June 17, 1998.
- "Bronchopulmonary dysplasia." Neonatal Grand Rounds, Miami Valley Hospital. Dayton, Ohio. October 28, 1997.
- "Obstructive airway emergenicies." Acute Care Symposium. Children's Medical Center, Dayton, OH, September 1996.
- "Infant pulmonary function testing." Ohio Chapter of the American Association for Medical Transcription, Continuing Education Conference. Children's Medical Center, Dayton, OH, January 20, 1996.
- "Infant pulmonary function testing." Grand Rounds, Children's Medical Center. Dayton, Ohio. May 3, 1995.
- "Apnea of infancy and home monitoring." Grand Rounds, Children's Medical Center. Dayton, OH. March 30, 1994.
- "Cystic Fibrosis." Pediatric Core Conference Series, Children's Medical Center. Dayton, Ohio. January, 1994.
- "Sedation and neuromuscular blockade: clinical pharmacology and use in the pediatric intensive care unit." Pediatric Mechanical Ventilation Course, Children's Medical Center. Dayton, Ohio. Each Spring and Autumn 1994-1996.
awards, honors and organizations
- Alan B. Schafer MD Distinguished Service Award 2018
- Best Doctor’s in America 2011, 2012, 2013, 2017 and 2018.
- Martha Franz Resident Medical Education Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Honors Medical Society
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians
- American Thoracic Society