Mahesh Chikkannaiah, MD is a pediatric neurologist and division associate chief of neurology at Dayton Children's Hospital. He is also an assistant professor of pediatrics at Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine.
Dr. Chikkannaiah was born and raised in India. He completed his medical school in India. Following college, he completed his pediatric residency at Flushing Hospital Medical Center in Queens, New York, where he also served as chief resident. He then moved to Ohio and completed his residency in pediatric neurology at Nationwide Children's Hospital. During his last year of residency, he served as chief resident of pediatric neurology. Dr. Chikkannaiah is certified by the American Board of Pediatrics and the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology with special qualifications in child neurology as well as epilepsy. Dr. Chikkannaiah has a special interest in treating patients with idiopathic intracranial hypertension, neuromuscular disorders and epilepsy.
One of Dr. Chikkannaiah's favorite things about working with children is their innocence, endless energy and they're fun to work with.
Outside of work Dr. Chikkannaiah enjoys traveling, watching movies, trying different cuisines and spending time with family and friends.
schedule an appointment
If your child is an existing patient, log in to MyKidsChart to schedule directly with your provider for follow-up care.
If you are new to the Dayton Children’s neurology clinic, use the online scheduling tool below to schedule an appointment. New patient appointments must be done in person. To schedule by phone call 937-641-4000.
conditions you can schedule for:
- Headaches and migraine
- General neurology - developmental delays, numbness/tingling, weakness, ataxia (unsteady gait), hyper/hypotonia
- Movement disorders - tics, Tourette's syndrome, tremors, chorea, clonus, dystonia
If your child needs to be seen for epilepsy/seizures or another condition not listed as an option for online scheduling, please call 937-641-4000 to schedule an appointment.
education and training
- medical school: M.S. Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore, India
- residency: Pediatric Residency, Flushing Hospital Medical Center, New York
- fellowship: Child Neurology, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Columbus, Ohio
- board certification:
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology – Child Neurology
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology – Epilepsy
publications and presentations
- Wallenberg's lateral medullary syndrome in an adolescent. Ruedrich ED, Chikkannaiah M, Kumar G. Am J Emerg Med.34(2016) 2254.e1–2254.e2
- Childhood Basilar Artery Occlusion: A Report of 5 Cases and Review of the Literature. Mahesh Chikkannaiah and Warren D. Lo. J Child Neurol. 2014 May; 29(5):633-45.
- American Epilepsy Society Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – Poster/Abstract. 2015
- “Parent and patient attitudes towards use of complementary and alternative medicine in children with epilepsy”. Abstract No: 2.161. Kumar G, Chikkannaiah M
- 2013 Child Neurology Society meeting in Austin, Texas- Poster presentation. Poster #14. “Childhood Basilar Artery Occlusion: A Report of 5 Cases and Review of the Literature” Chikkannaiah M, Warren D. Lo
- A Multicenter, Randomized, Controlled, Open-label Study to Evaluate the Cognitive Development Effects and Safety, and Pharmacokinetics of Adjunctive Rufinamide Treatment in Pediatric Subjects 1 to less than 4 years of age with Inadequately Controlled Lennox Gastaut.
- Worked as a sub-investigator at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, 2012 -2013.
- 2010 Eastern Society for Pediatric Research Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – Poster presentation.
- “Compliance of Pediatricians at an Urban Community Hospital with American Academy of Pediatrics Guidelines for Screening of Autism Spectrum Disorders before and after Educational Intervention”. Abstract No: 752434.
- Certified Neuroscience Registered Nurse (CNRN) Review Course, June 2014. Miami Valley Hospital, Dayton, Ohio “Neuro-developmental Disorders”
- Updates in Pediatric Neurology, Annual Symposium, October 2014. Dayton Children’s Hospital “Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension (Pseudotumor Cerebri)”
- “Febrile Seizures”. Medical students and Pediatric Residents, Dayton Children’s Hospital
- “Degenerative Neurological Conditions”. Medical students and Pediatric Residents, Dayton Children’s Hospital
- “Brain Malformations”. Medical students and Pediatric Residents, Dayton Children’s Hospital
- “New onset Seizures”. Medical students and Pediatric Residents, Dayton Children’s Hospital
- “Pediatric headaches and their Management” Medical students and Neurology Residents, Miami Valley Hospital, Dayton
awards, honors and organizations
Professional Society Memberships:
- American Academy of Neurology
- Child Neurology Society
get to know me
I chose my specialty because...
neurology is an exciting and intellectually stimulating specialty that relies on clinical acumen and traditional clinical skills for the diagnosis and management of the broad range of neurological conditions. It is one the rapidly evolving specialties, where many advancements are being made. I enjoy working with children and caring for kids with complex neurological problems.
I chose to work at Dayton Children's because...
it is an awesome place to work with a positive work environment, compassionate and caring staff.
Dayton Children's is special because...
is one of the best children’s hospital where each and every employee is dedicated and committed to provide the outstanding care for children in our community
ratings and reviews
Question Rating Breakdown
I love how Dr. Chikkannaiah always talks to me AND my young daughter. He makes it a point to catch up with her and ask her about school and her activities. We'll never forgot the time a couple years back in which our appointment consisted of us walking around because we both knew keeping my daughter still and quiet wasn't going to be easy. He let her move around the hospital and interacted with her. We are grateful for his knowledge, patience, and flexibility along with the calm voice.
I love my NP, she's great and I love my doctor too!
Always a pleasure getting care for our baby from Children's. Thanks for all you guys do!
He's very understanding and we're very very grateful for everything that he's done for us. Thank you so much.
Load more testimonials...
conditions I treat
Brain tumors, Cerebral palsy, Chronic headache, Epilepsy, Febrile seizures, Guillain-Barre syndrome, Headaches, Idiopathic intracranial hypertension, Infantile spasms, Movement disorders