conditions we treat
Dayton Children's nutrition therapy team treats a wide variety of conditions. Below is a list of some of the top conditions we treat.
- ADHD, autism, and sensory disorders: Food acceptance and feeding patterns look different for all children. Our dietitians help you separate fact from fiction, support you in trying new ways to help your child with food, and work closely with you, your child, and your child’s care team to make eating a more enjoyable and safe experience.
- Diabetes: Our dietitians will help patients and families understand how food plays a role in managing diabetes.
- Disease specific nutrition: Diet plays a role in many health-related conditions. Our dietitians listen to your concerns and use their expertise to help you find answers to your questions.
- Eating disorders and disordered eating: Disordered eating can impact many areas of a patient and his or her family’s well-being. Our dietitians will work with you and other members of your child’s care team to help navigate your child’s path to recovery.
- Food intolerances and allergies: Our dietitians are trained to help determine what foods may be causing your child’s symptoms. They work with your family’s specific needs to identify healthy alternatives, while also meeting their individual needs.
- GI problems: From constipation to celiac disease, GI problems make life difficult. Our dietitians help you identify food triggers and solutions that work for your child and your family.
- Nutrition for well-being: Eating for well-being and healthy growth can feel overwhelming. Our dietitians help you decide what healthy food looks like for your family and how you want to make it happen.
- Overweight and obesity: Our dietitians work with children and their families to improve healthy lifestyle habits and promote appropriate growth at all ages.
- Picky or selective eating: Many children have selective eating habits or experience anxiety regarding food. Our dietitians can evaluate your child’s nutrition and help make progress that is appropriate for your family.
- Poor weight gain, malnutrition, and “failure to thrive”: Sometimes kids need help growing. Our dietitians support you and your child with the goal of nourishment and helping you both find and apply ways to reduce stress and barriers to eating well.
- Sports nutrition: A young athlete’s eating habits can impact his or her performance. Our dietitians will work with your child to ensure he or she has appropriate nutrition to reach their athletic goals.
- Vegetarian and vegan: Not everyone chooses to include animal products in their diet. Our dietitians can work with your specific goals and make sure your child is meeting his/her nutrition needs.