We know that great nutrition starts at home. Our experts provide individualized one-on-one support and consultation unique to your family’s needs to help your athlete and your family stay healthy.
During the first consultation, the dietitian will assess:
- The nutritional demands of your athlete’s sport
- Current health status
- Athletic goal(s)
- Home life
After the assessment, the dietitian will provide an individualized nutrition plan to help your athlete excel.
Conditions and concerns we treat include:
- Eating disorders
- Female athlete triad
- Underweight or weight loss
- Overweight or excess weight gain
- Guidance on special diets such as vegetarian or vegan
- Sports supplement use
- Nutrition relating to management/prevention of stress fractures
- Diabetic athlete
- Food intolerance or allergies
why is sports nutrition so important?
The type of food young athletes eat can affect how well and how long they can compete. A proper nutrition plan can make sure they have enough energy to keep playing into over-time. If athletes are well hydrated and adequately fueled, they will get more out of practice and competition than if they are not nutritionally prepared.
A poor diet can lead to:
- Bone loss and risk of stress fractures
- Early fatigue and poor performance
- Loss of muscle
- Poor immunity and sickness
- Loss of menstruation
- Iron deficiency anemia
Learning how to properly fuel an athlete and growing child can quickly become overwhelming and confusing with so many websites and information about sports nutrition available. When you meet with our dietitians, you can be confident knowing you and your athlete are receiving personalized nutritional care from experts. Our pediatric dietitians have extensive training and experience and use science-based evidence when providing guidance to athletes and their families.
creating a nutrition plan
There are a lot of things to consider when creating a nutrition plan for a young athlete. Each athlete is different and their needs vary depending on sport, size, age, and gender. Our team has the skill and knowledge to create a custom plan for each athlete.
Eating to Compete nutrition plans may include:
- Eating before and between athletic events
- Hydration and sports drinks
- Healthy weight control practices
- Sport specific nutrition