comprehensive testing for conditions of the ear, nose and throat
Dayton Children’s provides comprehensive diagnostic testing for complex conditions of the ear, nose and throat. Tests can include:
- Hearing testing
- Nasophyarngoscopy, used to examine the airway and vocal cord function. These tests sometimes can be performed in the clinic without any sedation.
- Functional evaluation of swallowing
- Velopharyngeal insufficiency testing
- Fine-needle aspiration, used to help diagnose and evaluate growths in the head and neck.
- Bronchoscopy and microlaryngoscopy, which are almost always performed in the hospital with the patient under general anesthesia. These procedures allow the physician to obtain highly detailed pictures of the airway.
- Video fluoroscopy to evaluate swallowing disorders.
- Imaging tests such as ultrasound, computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
- Cine MRI, a special magnetic resonance imaging test that is used to observe the flow of cerebral spinal fluid
If your child needs any of these testing procedures, the doctor will explain what is involved and how to prepare. Our advanced ENT team will help make the experience as relaxed and kid-friendly as possible!