We recognize that first responders are a critical part of the emergency care our pediatric patients receive. In order to help obtain the best outcomes, we have a range of training and education programs designed specifically for pediatric emergency service providers and first responders in our 20-country region. We strive to provide exceptional educational training to those who care for children in emergency situations.
- Heather Koss, RN, EMT-P, main campus EMS coordinator, EMS student coordinator, 937-641-4534 Email
- Sarah Pearson MSN, RN, CPEN, south campus EMS coordinator, EMS professional outreach educator, 937-641-4346 Email
Dayton Children’s values the ongoing education of health care professionals. That’s why we offer Continuing Medical Education opportunities, training, research, and publications to keep health care professionals at the top of their field.
Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
The Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) courses have been presented by the expert team of faculty from Dayton Children’s since 1988 and are designed for healthcare providers or local certified EMS professionals who initiate and direct basic through advanced life support.
Course concepts are designed to be used throughout the stabilization and transport phases for both in-hospital and out-of-hospital pediatric emergencies. In this course, you will enhance your skills in the evaluation and management of an infant or child with respiratory compromise, circulatory compromise, or cardiac arrest.
Other available education for pre-hospital partners:
- Stop the bleed
- Physical/sexual abuse - 2 CE hours peds/trauma
- Cardiac anomalies - 2 CE hours peds
- Drug abuse - 2 CE hours peds
- When Kids Crash – implications of motor vehicle crashes - 2 CE hours peds/trauma
- Children with special needs - 2 CE hours peds
- Seizures - 2 CE hours peds
- Drownings - 1 CE hour peds/trauma
- Head Injuries - 2 CE hours peds/trauma
- Blunt force trauma - 1 CE hour peds/trauma
- Respiratory emergencies - 2 CE hours peds
- Mega code scenarios - 2 CE hours peds/trauma
- Medication administration - 1 CE hour peds
- Hidden Hazards - 2 CE hours peds/trauma
- Pediatric sexual abuse and human trafficking - 2 CE hours peds
- Other topics available upon request
For more information on educational offerings or to schedule a training for your staff, contact Sarah Pearson, EMS outreach coordinator.