the fetal cardiac clinic
Your visit will consist of the performance of a fetal echocardiogram and then a consultation with one of our board-certified pediatric cardiologists.
what is a fetal echocardiogram?
A non-invasive ultrasound study of the heart of a fetus. It is harmless and painless to the patient and fetus.
why a fetal echocardiogram?
Allow for diagnosis of fetal congenital heart conditions, such as structural heart defects and abnormal fetal heart rhythms.
preparation before your visit
- Please complete the intake form and submit online.
- Please arrive with a full bladder, especially if less than 24 weeks pregnant.
- Please allow 2 hours for your appointment. The scanning of the fetal heart will take 40 minutes to 1 hour and the consultation with one of our pediatric cardiologists will take additional time.
during your visit
- The fetal echocardiogram scanning will be performed by an ICAEL-certified sonographer.
- Consultations with one of our pediatric cardiologists include:
- Review of the findings of the echocardiogram.
- Counseling regarding treatment options.
- Recommendations for delivery, care of baby after delivery and any medications and/or surgical interventions.
- All recommendations for subsequent care of the the fetus and post-natal care are discussed and coordinated with your obstetrician and/or perinatologist and delivery hospital neonatologist.
- If necessary, arrangements are made for you to meet the medical/surgical staff that will provide necessary cardiac care for your baby.
- After your initial echocardiogram visit, you may need to return for follow up fetal echocardiograms.