education and training
- medical school: Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- board certification: American Osteopathic Board of Orthopedic Surgery
awards, honors and organizations
- Distinguished Scholar Award, Central College 2003
- TOUCH Award 2006
- VCOM International Public Health Leadership Fellowship and Scholarship 2006-2007
- National Service Award 2007
- AOAO Orthopedic Resident Paper Award, 2014
- Pediatric Orthopedic Society of North America- Candidate Member
- Limb Lengthening and Reconstruction Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Osteopathic Association
- American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics
publications and presentations
- Herman, M.J., Martinek, M. The limping child. Pediatrics in Review.2015; 36 (5).
- Herman, M.J., Martinek, M.A., Abzug, J.M. Complications of tibial eminence and diaphyseal fractures in children: Prevention and Treatment. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2014; 22: 730-741.
- Martinek, M. Basic bone health and osteoporosis knowledge in university students from El Salvador. BIOMEA.
- Illingworth, K. Graham, R. Mayfield, A. Martinek, M. Gabriel, K. Radiographic parameters of sugar tong plaster splints in pediatric distal forearm fractures. (Podium Presentation, AAOS 2017, San Diego, CA.)
- Martinek, M. Saar, W. Allograft chondrocytes in a talar dome lesion: A case study. (Poster presentation, Annual AOAO 2010, San Francisco, CA.)
- Martinek, M. Sutphin, D. Incidence of fractures and respective causes in an aging population in El Salvador. (Poster presentation, AOA Annual Research Conference 2010, San Francisco, CA.)
- Martinek, M. Basic bone health and osteoporosis knowledge in university students from El Salvador. (Poster presentation AOA International Seminar 2008, Las Vegas, NV.)
- Martinek, Melissa. (2014, October). “Knowledge, Causes, and Risk Factors Associated with Fractures in the Elderly Population at Hospital Zacamil in El Salvador.” Paper Presented at 2014 American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics Annual Meeting. Ranchos Palos Verdes, CA.
- Martinek, Melissa. (2014, October). “The Evolution of Limb Lengthening”. Presented at 2014 American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics Annual Meeting. Ranchos Palos Verdes, CA.