Melissa Martinek DO, PhD, is a pediatric orthopedic surgeon at Dayton Children's. Dr. Martinek earned her Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree frorn the Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine; interned at University Hospital-Richmond Medical Center; completed her orthopedic surgery residency at University Hospitals Regional Medical Center and her fellowship in pediatric orthopedics at St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children/Philadelphia Shriner’s Hospital.
Scheduling in-person appointments for new patients only. For follow-up, second opinion or video visit appointments, please call 937-641-3010
education and training
- medical school: Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- board certification: American Osteopathic Board of Orthopedic Surgery
awards, honors and organizations
- Distinguished Scholar Award, Central College 2003
- TOUCH Award 2006
- VCOM International Public Health Leadership Fellowship and Scholarship 2006-2007
- National Service Award 2007
- AOAO Orthopedic Resident Paper Award, 2014
- Pediatric Orthopedic Society of North America- Candidate Member
- Limb Lengthening and Reconstruction Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Osteopathic Association
- American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics
publications and presentations
- Herman, M.J., Martinek, M. The limping child. Pediatrics in Review.2015; 36 (5).
- Herman, M.J., Martinek, M.A., Abzug, J.M. Complications of tibial eminence and diaphyseal fractures in children: Prevention and Treatment. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2014; 22: 730-741.
- Martinek, M. Basic bone health and osteoporosis knowledge in university students from El Salvador. BIOMEA.
- Illingworth, K. Graham, R. Mayfield, A. Martinek, M. Gabriel, K. Radiographic parameters of sugar tong plaster splints in pediatric distal forearm fractures. (Podium Presentation, AAOS 2017, San Diego, CA.)
- Martinek, M. Saar, W. Allograft chondrocytes in a talar dome lesion: A case study. (Poster presentation, Annual AOAO 2010, San Francisco, CA.)
- Martinek, M. Sutphin, D. Incidence of fractures and respective causes in an aging population in El Salvador. (Poster presentation, AOA Annual Research Conference 2010, San Francisco, CA.)
- Martinek, M. Basic bone health and osteoporosis knowledge in university students from El Salvador. (Poster presentation AOA International Seminar 2008, Las Vegas, NV.)
- Martinek, Melissa. (2014, October). “Knowledge, Causes, and Risk Factors Associated with Fractures in the Elderly Population at Hospital Zacamil in El Salvador.” Paper Presented at 2014 American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics Annual Meeting. Ranchos Palos Verdes, CA.
- Martinek, Melissa. (2014, October). “The Evolution of Limb Lengthening”. Presented at 2014 American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics Annual Meeting. Ranchos Palos Verdes, CA.
- Pin Site Infections Back to the OR, Dr. Melissa Martinek, Garyn Metoyer MS4, Mack Malarkey MS4
- Outcomes & Complications of Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis (SCFE) Surgery, Tyler Sanda, BS, Melissa Martinek, DO, PhD
- Radiation Exposure in the Treatment of Pediatric Supracondylar Humerus Fractures, Alex Schmucker, Roy Chen, Shobhan Vachhrajani, Melissa Martinek, Michael Albert (Published in Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, August 2019)
- Failure of Closed Reduction in the Management of Pediatric Forearm Fractures, Hunter C Spitz, Christopher J McMellen, Kokou Adompreh-Fia, Melissa Martinek and Michael C Albert
"Growing" pains, achilles tendon injury, ACL injury, Ankle Injuries, Blounts Disease, bowlegs, broken bone, Bunions, bursitis, Cerbral Palsy, Clubfeet, Curly Toes, DDH (hip dysplasia), disk herniation, dislocations, Femoroacetabular impingement, Flat Feet, foot pain, Ganglion Cyst, General Fracture Care, golfers elbow (medial epicondylitis), Growth plate injuries, Hammer toes, hand deformity, Hip Impingement, Hip Injuries/Pain, hip pain, Ingrown Toenails, joint pain, jumpers knee, labral tear, LCL injury, Limb Length Inequality (LLI), little league elbow, MCL injury, Meniscus injury, Musculoskeletal tumors, Myelomeningocele/ Spina Bifida, osgood-schlatter disease, Osteogenesis imperfecta, overuse injury, patellar dislocation, patellar femoral syndrome, PCL injury, Perthes disease, plantar fasciitis, rotator cuff injury, severs disease, Shin splints, Shoulder impingement syndrome, shoulder instability, Shoulder Pain, Slipped capital femoral epiphysis, Snapping hip, sprain, strain, Stress fractures, subluxation, tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis), thigh pain, Toewalking, Torticollis, UCL injury