Joseph E. Ross, MD is a pediatric cardiologist at Dayton Children's Hospital. He is also a clinical associate professor of pediatrics at Boonshoft School of Medicine, Wright State University. Dr. Ross was born and raised in northeastern Ohio. He graduated college from Ohio Northern University in Ada, Ohio. He then completed his medical school education at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in Cincinnati, Ohio. He completed his pediatric residency at Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital in Cleveland, Ohio where he stayed on an additional year as chief resident. After also completing his fellowship in pediatric cardiology at Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital, Dr. Ross joined the pediatric cardiology practice at Dayton Children's Hospital. Dr. Ross is board certified in both pediatrics and pediatric cardiology.
When asked why he chose to specialize in cardiology he responded "I was really fortunate to have an incredible mentor during my fellowship. He allowed me to be hands on and as involved as possible for the care of his cardiology patients. Over time it felt like a natural fit". During his time here at Dayton Children's Dr. Ross has developed a special interest in caring for his patients beyond the walls of the hospital. Dr. Ross and his wife volunteer each year at a summer camp for kids with serious illnesses, including heart disease. He enjoys having camp as another topic of conversation when his patients visit him in clinic. One of his favorite things about working with children is seeing them grow into successful and healthy adults. Outside of the hospital, Dr. Ross enjoys spending time outdoors with his wife and three grown children. He also enjoys getting outside and running when he can!
Meet Dr. Ross
Learn more about why Dr. Ross loves his job and what it's like to bring your child to him.
education and training
- medical school: University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio
- residency: Pediatrics - Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio
- chief resident: Pediatrics - Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio
- fellowship: Pediatric Cardiology - Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio
- board certification: Pediatric Cardiology and General Pediatrics
publications and presentations
- Abdurrahman L, Bockoven J R, Pickoff A S, Ralston M A, Ross J E. Pediatric Cardiology Update: Office-Based Practice of Pediatric Cardiology of the Primary Care Provider. Current Problems in Pediatric and Adolescent Health Care 2003; 33:10, 313-352.
- Abstract - October 2010, Executive Functioning, Gross Motor Ability, and Mood are Key Drivers of Poorer Quality of Life in Child and Adolescent Survivors with Complex Congenital Heart Disease. Bradley S. Marino, MD, MPP, MSCE, Dean Beebe, PhD, Amy Cassedy, PhD, Melanie Reidel, BS, Mary Burger, MD, Sara Medek, MS, Susan Finan, RN, Charlotte Andersen, MSN, Karen Uzark, PhD, Joseph Ross, MD, Richard F. Ittenbach, PhD, Dennis Drotar, PhD
awards, honors and organizations
honors and awards
- Dayton Magazine - Dayton Best Docs 2023
- 2014 Honoree of the Year, American Heart Association, Dayton, OH Chapter
- 2013 Doctors Making a Difference, Aubrey Rose Foundation, Cincinnati, OH
- 2010 Distinguished Service Award, Dayton Children's Medical Center
- 1991 Martha Franz Excellence in Teaching Award
- Montgomery County Medical Society
- Western Ohio Pediatric Society
- Ohio State Medical Association
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Heart Association, Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young
ratings and reviews
Question Rating Breakdown
He was very compassionate and kind and caring and he took the time to listen to my son's concerns and explain everything and that's important in this day and age and being an attentive listener and taking that valuable time, that extra time with my with my son, his patients.
Everyone was very nice listened to our concerns. Doctor was great my kids loved him.
Dr. Ross is a very thorough doctor. He sat and listened to our concerns and talk to us about what is going on with. My daughter and I left. very reassured, knowing things were being looked at and monitored and we were headed in the right direction.
Only saw for one visit, but seemed like a very good doctor. Overall great experience.
Load more testimonials...
Acute rheumatic fever, Aortic stenosis, Atrial septal defect, Atrioventricular septal defect, Cardiac arrhythmias, Cardiomyopathy, Chest pain, Coarctation of the aorta, Congenital heart disease, Double outlet right ventricle, Epstein's anomaly, Fetal heart conditions, Heart murmurs, Hypertension, Hypoplastic left heart syndrome, Kawasaki disease, Marfan syndrome, Palpitations, Patent ductus arteriosis (PDA), Patent foramen ovale (PFO), Pulmonary atresia, Pulmonary stenosis, Single ventricles, Syncope, Tetralogy of Fallot, Total anomalous pulmonary venous return, Transportation of the great vessels, Tricuspis atresia, Truncus arteriosis, Ventricular septal defect, Endocarditis