Christopher Bugnitz, MD is a pediatric cardiologist and Chief Medical Faculty Development Officer at Dayton Children's Hospital. Dr. Bugnitz was born in St. Louis, MO and raised in Memphis, TN. He graduated college from the University of Notre Dame. He then completed his medical school education at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center. He spent his pediatrics residency at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio where he stayed on an additional year as a chief resident. After also completing his fellowship in pediatric cardiology at Nationwide Children's Hospital, Dr. Bugnitz joined the pediatric cardiology practice at Dayton Children's Hospital. Dr. Bugnitz is board certified in both pediatrics and pediatric cardiology. When asked why he chose to specialize in cardiology he responded "I enjoy the challenge of caring for children with congenital and acquired heart disease. Many cardiac diagnoses require lifelong follow-up, which means that I have the privilege of watching my patients grow and thrive." During his time here at Dayton Children's he has developed a special interest in fetal cardiology, echocardiography and cardiac MRI. In addition, he also has a passion for educating his patients and families. One of his favorite things about working with children is getting to witness the love that their parents have for them.
Scheduling in-person appointments for new patients only. For follow-up, second opinion or video visit appointments, please call 937-641-4000
education and training
- medical school: University of Tennessee Health Science Center - Memphis, Tennessee
- residency: Pediatrics - Nationwide Children's Hospital, Columbus, Ohio
- chief resident: Pediatrics - Nationwide Children's Hospital, Columbus, Ohio
- fellowship: Pediatric cardiology - Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Columbus, Ohio
- board certification: American Board of Pediatrics, Pediatric Cardiology and General Pediatrics
publications and presentations
peer-reviewed journal articles
- Salloum, Shafee & J. Bugnitz, Christopher. (2018). A case report of infective endocarditis in a 10-year-old girl. Clinics and Practice. 8. 10.4081/cp.2018.1070.
- Bugnitz, CJ, Lo, WD, Flannigan, KM, Cripe, LH. Recurrent Fat Embolic Strokes in a Patient with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy with Long Bone Fractures and a Patent Foramen Ovale. Pediatric Neurology. 2016 Jun 08.
- Bugnitz, CJ, Miao, Y, Berger, G, Galantowicz, M, Cheatham, JP, Cua, CL. Changes in Right Ventricular Function in Neonates with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome Before and After the Hybrid Procedure. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2016 Jan 22. pii: jev345.
- Bugnitz, CJ, Miao, Y, Berger, G, Galantowicz, M, Cheatham, JP, Cua, CL. Changes in Right Ventricular Function in Neonates with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome Before and After the Hybrid Procedure. American Society of Echocardiography Meeting, June 2015.
- Bugnitz, CJ, Rhodes, M, Cua, CL, Miao, Y, Texter, K. Strain Echocardiography in Pediatric Sickle Cell Patients: Correlating Severity of Disease with Biventricular Systolic and Diastolic Function. American Society of Echocardiography Meeting, June 2014.
- Bugnitz, CJ, Bowman, J. Cardiac Conduction System. In R. Abdulla, W. Bonney, O. Khalid, S. Awad (Eds.), The Pediatric Electrocardiogram: An Algorithmic Approach To Interpretation. New York City: Springer. 2015.
- Bugnitz, CJ. Resident Board Review: Rheumatic Heart Disease, Kawasaki Disease, and Endocarditis. January 2019.
- Bugnitz, CJ. 2018 Update on Pulse Oximetry Screening for Crital Conenital Heart Disease. Pediatric Grand Rounds. May 2018.
- Bugnitz, CJ. Neonate with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. Dayton Children's Hospital Pediatric Residency Morning Report. 2018.
- Bugnitz, CJ, Hughes, J. Stewardship. Professionals Accelerating Clinical and Educational Redesign Training Module. November 2017.
- Bugnitz, CJ. Cardiac Causes of Syncope. Dayton Children's Hospital Pediatric Residency Noon Conference. 2017.
- Bugnitz, CJ. Infant with Congenital Mitral Valve Stenosis. Dayton Children's Hospital Morning Report. 2017.
- Bugnitz, CJ. Left to Right Shunts. Dayton Children's Hosptial Pediatric Residency Noon Conference. 2017.
- Bugnitz, CJ. Mitral Valve Replacement with a Melody Valve in an Infant. Society for Cardiac Angiography and Interventions Fall Fellows Course, December 2015.
- Wilhelm CM, Bugnitz C, Thornton B, Rowlans D. Teach Then Reach: Using Teach-Back to Improve Health Literacy in Pediatric Cardiology Clinic. The Ohio State University College of Medicine Fall Celebration of Educational Scholarship. Columbus, OH. October 20, 2015. Oral presentation.
awards, honors and organizations
honors and awards
- 2015 Society for Cardiac Angiography and Interventions Fall Fellows Course Case Presentation Award
- 2014-2016 Department of Pediatrics Master's Program Funding
- 2014 American Society of Echocardiography Travel Grant
- 2009 Outstanding Medical Student in Pediatrics Award
- 2006-2007 Gooch Scholarship
- 2006-2007 Grace moulder Merit Scholarship
- 2006 NIH Medical Student Research Fellowship :Evaluation of Heparin-induced Thrombocytopenia in End Stage Renal Disease Hemodialysis Patients"
professional society memberships
- Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance
- American College of Cardiology
Acute rheumatic fever, Aortic stenosis, Atrial septal defect, Atrioventricular septal defect, Cardiac arrhythmias, Cardiomyopathy, Chest pain, Coarctation of the aorta, Congenital heart disease, Double outlet right ventricle, Endocarditis, Epstein's anomaly, Fetal heart conditions, Heart murmurs, Hypoplastic left heart syndrome, Kawasaki disease, Marfan syndrome, Palpitations, Patent ductus arteriosis (PDA), Patent foramen ovale (PFO), Pulmonary atresia, Pulmonary stenosis, Single ventricles, Syncope, Tetralogy of Fallot, Total anomalous pulmonary venous return, Transportation of the great vessels, Tricuspis atresia, Truncus arteriosis, Ventricular septal defect