chronic headache clinic
Headaches are a common and potentially disabling problem for children and teens. The headache clinic at Dayton Children’s focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of headache disorders in children and adolescents. Treatment is offered both in inpatient and outpatient settings and is tailored to each child’s individual needs.
chronic headache migraine and tension type headaches
- Are the most commonly seen headaches in pediatrics
- Tend to have an inherited component, such as history among family members
- About 10 percent of children and adolescents suffer from migraines
- Some headaches may have no identifiable or obvious cause
- others may be caused by another condition, such as sinusitis, a virus, something in their environment or an abnormality in the brain
- Some headache-related symptoms include nausea, vomiting, light and noise sensitivity
- Can result in other problems, such as social dysfunction and school absenteeism, which can have a great impact on the quality of life for the child and family
- Stress, poor sleep, dehydration, and other issues such as depression and anxiety all can influence headaches
- headache questionnaire
our multidisciplinary approach to headaches
Treatment is offered both in inpatient and outpatient settings and is tailored to each child’s individual needs. A wide variety of treatment alternatives are also offered, which may include medications, non-medication behavioral techniques, complementary therapies, injections or a combination.
- Specialists in our headache clinic have the expertise necessary to treat those headaches and help patients meet their potential to live a life uninterrupted by pain.
- Patients being evaluated in our comprehensive headache clinic are typically seen by a physician and/or pediatric nurse practitioner specializing in headache management.
- Depending on the child’s age and needs, they may be seen by a pain psychologist with special expertise in cognitive behavioral therapy and biofeedback/relaxation therapy related to headache management, a nutritionist and a physical therapist.
We also offer Botox injections for our established chronic headache patients.