Did you experience an exceptional staff member during your visit or stay at Dayton Children’s? We offer a number of awards throughout the year to recognize staff members that go above and beyond. Explore our awards below and nominate someone today!
The DAISY Award for nurses
what is the Daisy Award?
The DAISY Award recognizes nurses for their extraordinary acts of compassion and excellence in their works with patients, families, the community and their co-workers. All nurses, in any role, may be nominated and considered for a DAISY Award. DAISY Awards are presented quarterly and nominations are accepted at any time.
The DAISY foundation was created by Bonnie and J. Mark Barnes to honor nurses for the extraordinary work they do for patients and families everyday. Their son, J. Patrick Barnes, lost his battle to a disease attacking his immune system at the age of 33. The Barnes family was in such awe of the skillful and compassionate care that Patrick received, they created the DAISY award to honor those nurses and nurses across the world.
who qualifies for the DAISY Award?
The award may be given to any Dayton Children’s nurse, in good standing, who exemplifies the following:
- Works collaboratively with others
- Serves as a role model for the nursing profession
- Communicates clearly and effectively with all coworkers and patients/families
- Functions as an integral member of a team
- Creates an encouraging environment for others to learn
- Generates enthusiasm and energy towards meeting the challenges of nursing
- Works with others to achieve common goals and effect positive change
- Develops key relationships with others—including patients and families
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills with peers and co-workers
- Models empathy and demonstrates a caring attitude in all situations
- Demonstrates a commitment to the goals and mission of Dayton Children’s
- Strives to go above expectations in their role within Dayton Children’s
- Commitment to the highest standards of nursing
how do I nominate someone for the DAISY award?
It’s easy to nominate a nurse for the DAISY Award. Complete the online nomination today.
completing the online nomination form.
- Please take time to write a thoughtful nomination as this will be used to select the winner and will appear with the winner’s name on national websites.
- Each person receiving a nomination will receive a DAISY pin.
The winning nurse is recognized in a number of ways, but his or her department or work unit is also recognized. We know that a great team contributes to an individual’s success. A member of the Clinical Operations Council will present the winning nurse his or her award the same day the winner and his or her coworkers enjoy a Cinnabon celebration.
how does the process work and what happens to my nomination?
- Your online nomination is collected in nursing administration and is forwarded to the Clinical Operations Council.
- The council members do not see the nominee’s name. The winner is selected based on the merits of the application.
- One winner is selected quarterly.
The POPPIES Award for clinical staff
what is the POPPIES Award?
The POPPIES award stands for "Power of Positive People in Excellent Service."
The POPPIES award is given by nursing to clinical support staff,respiratory therapists, employees in rehab, environmental services, facilities, dietary, child life, etc. The award is to honor someone who has provided excellent service and partnership to nursing.
how do I nominate someone for a POPPIES award?
It’s easy to nominate clinical staff for the POPPIES Award. Please take time to write a thoughtful nomination as this will be used to select the winner. Complete the online nomination today
The PHIL Award for respiratory therapists
what is the PHIL award?
The PHIL (Pulmonary Health and Illnesses of The Lungs) award was created in 2006 in honor of Philip C. Lamka, who passed away from Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD). The award honors and recognizes the unsung heroes in the respiratory profession who understand that each breath matters.
Patients, family members and other caregivers have the opportunity to nominate a respiratory therapist for this award anytime throughout the year.
During respiratory care week each October, the PHIL Award is presented to an outstanding respiratory therapist based on nominations received.
In addition to being known as 'the best of the best' in respiratory care and having bragging rights, the PHIL Award winner will receive a sculpture and paid tuition to their state's annual professional conference.
how do I nominate someone for the PHIL award?
It’s easy to nominate a respiratory therapist for the PHIL Award. Please take time to write a thoughtful nomination as this will be used to select the winner. Complete the online nomination today.