I chose my specialty because...
I am able to treat patients hands-on and it is gratifying to see results very quickly. Also, I was heavily involved in sports as I grew up and now enjoy taking care of the next generation of young athletes.
I like working with kids because...
they are so fun! Kids are motivated to resume play and I love that I can help them return to their normal activities.
I chose to work at Dayton Children's because...
of the fantastic opportunity to practice my specialty in the area where I grew up.
Dayton Children's is special because...
of the collegial staff that is focused on providing the highest level of care in a comfortable environment.
education and training
- medical school: Medical College of Wisconsin
- internship: University of Virginia
- residency: University of Virginia and Medical College of Wisconsin - orthopaedic surgery
- fellowship: Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery fellowship - Cincinnati Children's Hospital
- board certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
awards, honors and organizations
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (POSNA)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Pediatric Research in Sports Medicine (PRISM)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, 2006
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude, Marquette University 2002
- Phi Beta Kappa, 2002
publications and presentations
Jain VV, Zawodny S, McCarthy JJ.
Etiology of Lower Limb Deformity
In Pediatric Lower Limb Deformities: Principles and Techniques of Management
ed. Sabharwal S, Springer Publishers 2016
Wall EJ, Albright JC, Steward SR
Acute Patellar and Chronic Patellar Instability
In Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery, 2ndEdition
ed. Wiesel SW, Wolters Kluwer 2016
Zawodny SR, Miller MD.
Complications of Posterior Cruciate Ligament Surgery.
Sports Medicine Arthroscopy Review. 2010 Dec;18(4):269-74.