medical records cost
Prepayment is required on all requests that have an amount due greater than $5.00. You will receive an invoice in the mail before any copies are processed. Records will not be sent until payment is received. If payment is not received within 30 days, your request will be cancelled. Please allow 7-10 business days after payment processing for copies to be prepared.
what will my copies cost?
The total cost of your medical record copy request will be assessed once we have received your request. After we have determined the total number of pages, we will send you an invoice via U.S. Postal Service. Due to patient privacy we cannot Fax or email the invoice however the amount can be told to you over the phone.
how do I pay for my copies?
Available forms of payment include cash, check and credit card.
You may make credit card payments by calling 937-641-3395. You may also pay in person in the medical records department during our business hours of Monday-Friday 8 am – 4 pm.
Checks should be made payable to Dayton Children’s HIM Dept.
medical records for personal use
Discounted patient/parent charges for medical records copies:
- Pages 1-50: $0.50/page
- Pages 51 and higher: $0.25/page
- Microfilm/Microfiche: $1.00/page
To minimize costs, we suggest requesting a copy of specific dates of service rather than the entire medical record.
If you are requesting records from an inpatient hospitalization, an “abstract” of the record gives you all the essential elements without having all the daily assessments.
A typical “abstract” of an inpatient record includes:
- Discharge Summary – This summary includes information about a child’s inpatient stay including their care, treatment, services provided and progress towards goals.
- History and Physical – Information about the child’s current illness and any relevant history.
- Consultation Reports – A physicians findings and recommendations after examining a patient.
- Operative Report(s), if applicable – Important information from the surgeon detailing their findings, technical procedures, specimens removed and post-operative diagnosis.
- Diagnostic Tests
medical records for physician office use
You may request copies of medical records be sent to a physician’s office for an appointment. Sending these records directly to the physician’s office is free of charge.
If you have an appointment with a specific date in which you need your copies, please mark this on your authorization form.
Copies will be faxed or mailed directly to the physician office. Please provide us with the physician name, full address, phone and fax number.
To request copies for your physician office please follow our medical records process.
medical records for third party use
A third party such as an insurance company or attorney's office can request copies of medical records. Please review our process of how to obtain medical records.
Charges for third party requests for medical records copies
- Retrieval Fee: $17.70
- Pages 1-10: $1.17/page
- Pages 11-50: $0.60/page
- Pages 51 and higher: $0.24/page
- Microfilm/Microfiche: $1.97/page
- Itemized billing statement: $18.00/each