COVID-19 testing for kids at Dayton Children’s
Dayton Children's has two options for COVID-19 testing – antigen (rapid) and PCR.
- Both tests can be billed through insurance with a provider’s order
- If you wish to pay out-of-pocket, no order is needed and the cost is $60 for an antigen test or $100 for a PCR test payable by credit or debit card.
- learn more about the difference between the two tests
- Any Dayton Children's lab location
- State of Ohio regional testing site
- No appointment needed
- 3300 West Tech Road, Springboro – across the street from the south campus
- Monday – Friday, 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
- Test: PCR only (no antigen tests or tests for other illnesses are available)
- Cost: None.
- Results may take 48-72 hours and will be delivered electronically in MyKidsChart.
- If you have not received results in 72 hours, call 937-641-4599 Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. No update on testing status can be given until 72 hours after collection.
- For additional testing locations please visit the Ohio Department of Health's testing center database
know before you go:
- A physician’s order is necessary for the PCR test and for the antigen test, if you want to bill through insurance.
- No order is necessary for either test if you want to pay out-of-pocket. The cost is $60 for an antigen test or $100 for a PCR test. Payment is by credit or debit card only.
- Bring your insurance information, if necessary
- Remember to wear your masks
frequently asked questions:
Can I go to the emergency department or urgent care for a test?
Do not go to the emergency department (ED) or an urgent care location if you are only seeking a COVID-19 test. Consider one of these options instead.
If you are experiencing an emergency or need urgent care, follow this link to see our emergency and urgent care locations.
What is the cost of a COVID-19 test?
With a physicians order, Dayton Children's will bill your insurance for the cost of a COVID-19 test. If you do not have a physicians order, you can pay $60 for an antigen test or $100 for a PCR test. Payable out of pocket via credit or debit card at the testing site.
Due to state-supported resources and materials, there is no cost for a PCR test at the south site in Springboro.
What should I do if I don't have a physician's order?
If you do not have a physicians order for a test, you have four options:
1. Go to the State of Ohio regional testing site at our south testing site for a free PCR test
2. Pay for a test out of pocket at any of our testing locations
3. Call your child's doctor to request an appointment with them to receive a referral for a COVID test before coming to one of our testing locations
4. Schedule a video visit with Dayton Children's Kids Express before coming to before coming to one of our testing locations
can adults get the test at Dayton Children's?
Yes, adults can also get the test.
how will results be delivered?
antigen testing: The individual will receive a text message with test results in four hours or less, if they provided a cell phone number. Results will also be posted in MyChart/MyKidsChart, if the family has an active account, and sent to the primary care provider, if the family provides that information. If a provider ordered the test, they will also receive the results.
PCR testing: The test result should be ready in one to two days. Results will be posted in MyChart/MyKidsChart, if the family has an active account, as well as sent to the physician who ordered the test.
what should I do if the results are positive?
Please follow up with your primary care provider who can tell you how long you or your child will need to stay home.
If your child does not have a primary care provider, you can schedule a video visit with Kids Express or call your county's health department for follow-up information.
what should I do if the results are negative?
If the results are negative, it means the test did not find evidence of the virus in your child's system.
what should I do if the symptoms worsen after a negative test?
If symptoms worsen, contact your primary care provider or go to the emergency department if immediate care is needed.
If your child does not have a primary care provider, you can schedule a video visit with Kids Express.