close   X

patient story

Karter Hadley

from stomach pain to surgery

patient name: Karter 

age: 14

condition: appendicitis

seen in: pediatric surgery, emergency department

providers: Arturo Aranda, MD

While watching a movie with his family, 14-year-old, Karter Hadley began experiencing pain around his belly button and a strong urge to throw up. The pain became so severe, he was unable to sit still. Although he didn’t want to go to urgent care, Karter’s mom, Kim, insisted they get it checked out to make sure it wasn’t something serious.

Without hesitation, Kim drove Karter to Dayton Children’s emergency department in Springboro. The emergency department physician ordered imaging of Karter’s stomach which showed an enlarged appendix, also known as appendicitis. He was quickly transferred by ambulance to Dayton Children’s Hospital, a quick 20-minute drive, where he was admitted to the inpatient unit where he would be prepped for surgery the next morning.

Early the next morning, Karter was taken down for surgery. Everyone from the surgical staff, the anesthesiologist and Dr. Arturo Aranda, division chief of pediatric surgery, introduced themselves to the family. They explained everything about Karter’s procedure, were patient and answered any questions the family had.

Karter’s family spent the next 2 hours in the surgery waiting room where they were able to track Karter’s progress on the monitors installed throughout the space.

After surgery, Dr. Aranda met with Kim and the rest of the family in a private room to explain how the procedure went. He performed an appendectomy to take out the infected appendix using a minimally invasive approach. He told the family that it was good that they came to the hospital when they did. If they would have waited another day, Karter’s appendix could have ruptured. Because his appendix had not ruptured, surgery was much less complicated, and his hospital stay would be less lengthy.

Karter and his family were reunited in the PACU (post anesthesia care unit) and then transferred back to his hospital room. By nightfall, Karter’s pain was controlled, and no complications presented so he was able to go home.

Three weeks after surgery, Karter returned to Dayton Children’s for a follow-up appointment with Dr. Aranda to make sure the incision site was healing properly, and that no other concerns had come up. Karter received the “all clear” from Dr. Aranda and will be able to go on living a normal life – without his appendix.

“Our experience from the time we entered the emergency department in Springboro to the time we left main campus after surgery was amazing and without any issues. Every team member went above and beyond to make sure our needs were taken care of, and Karter’s pain was controlled. The hospital was very clean and all areas we visited were well-organized and friendly, even the cafeteria. We felt safe and that all our needs were met. I will never take my kids anywhere else. Dr. Aranda and the staff at Dayton Children’s are the experts!” – Kim Hadley