reproductive wellness and evaluation
Our adolescent young adult medicine specialists evaluate and treat a variety of non-surgical gynecological concerns and contraceptive needs, including long-acting reversible contraceptive (LARC) methods, the implant and IUD. Highly complex cases, or those requiring surgery, should be referred to our gynecology service at Dayton Children’s.
conditions treated include:
- Contraceptive counseling
- Contraception, including Nexplanon/implant and Mirena/Kyleena/IUD
- Gynecologic treatment for transgender and gender non-conforming youth
- Menstrual problems: absent, irregular, heavy, or infrequent menstrual bleeding, including due to chronic diseases or bleeding disorders
- Menstrual cramps, dysmenorrhea
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Reproductive health and wellness visits
- Sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing and treatment
- Vaginal discharge
We provide a thorough initial evaluation complete with counseling and education, on all treatment options available, to help you make the right decision for your health care needs. Please be advised, if you are seeking or are referred for LARC methods, a second visit will be needed to complete placement. This is necessary due to insurance requirements. It also takes the pressure off of choosing a method before your appointment.
If you are referred for any of these services, please do not discontinue any medications or treatment unless directed to by your referring provider.
Our staff is dedicated to promoting an environment that recognizes an adolescent’s need for confidentiality and trust while also welcoming involvement from family members and significant others.