The pediatric experts in our critical care complex care for more than 1,600 children every year. No other intensive care unit in our region offers this level of experience for emergencies.
- We are the only critical care complex in the region staffed by board-certified pediatric intensivists--doctors specially trained in critical care medicine.
- The nursing staff all have pediatric advanced life support training and all complete trauma nurse core curriculum. An advanced practice nurse and a clinical nurse specialist work closely with families to make sure children get the very best care.
- Respiratory therapists and other professionals also have special training and experience in caring for infants, children and teens.
- Members of the PICU staff are part of Dayton Children's transport team. This team is specially trained to transport infants and children in mobile intensive care units.
Conditions We Treat
- Status asthmaticus
- Status epilepticus
- Diabetic ketoacidosis
- Septic shock
- Adult respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
- Pediatric trauma
- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy
- Acute respiratory failure
- Complex metabolic disturbances
- Seizure disorder
- Shock and circulatory failure
- Impending renal or liver failure
- Multi-system organ failure
- Increased intracranial pressure
- Inhalation injury
- Congestive heart failure
Take a video tour of the Wallace Critical Care Complex
Services We Offer
- 24-hour, PICU coverage by board-certified pediatric intensivists
- Specialized monitoring
- High-frequency oscillatory ventilation (HFOV)
- Invasive intravascular/intracardiac techniques
- Bedside dialysis
- Pediatric subspecialists
- 24-hour mobile intensive care unit - pediatric transport
- Sedation service
- Assistance in the emergency stabilization of children in the referral area
Meet Our Team
Medical Director: Vipul Patel, MD
Free parenting enewsletter
Finding trusted child health and safety information doesn't have to be hard. eGrowing Together offers the latest health, safety and parenting information from our experts delivered to your inbox every month.