Being prepared will help put you at ease. If you have time, complete this checklist at least one week before your child's scheduled appointment.
Call your insurance company
- If you have any questions or concerns about your insurance coverage, please call your insurance company before your child’s appointment. If your plan contains a preferred provider list, please confirm that Dayton Children’s physicians are included.
- If your plan requires a referral from your primary care provider, have your primary care doctor fax it to us at 937-641-4500 at least four days before your child’s visit.
- If you have questions about the referral, contact central scheduling at 937-641-4000. Please call after your child’s doctor has sent the referral.
Request x-rays and test results
- Talk to your child’s primary doctor to find out if he or she will be sending test results and x-rays or if you will need to bring them to your child’s appointment.
Make a list of medicines
- Make a list of all prescription and nonprescription medicines and supplements (vitamins, herbal medicine, etc) your child is taking, or bring the medicine bottles with you.
- Make sure you have the name of each medicine as well as the dosage and instructions.
Arrange for child care
- Arrange for child care before arriving for your appointment. Some visits can take up to several hours and the child being treated will need your full attention. Dayton Children’s does not provide child care for brothers and sisters.
Write down your questions
- Think about any questions you might have for the doctor and write them down before your visit. Learn more about Talking with Your Child’s Doctor.
Tell us about your cultural beliefs
- Please let us know about any personal, cultural or spiritual beliefs or practices that may affect your child's treatment and care.
Tell us about your special needs
- If your family has special needs, requires a wheelchair, a sign language interpreter, a language translator or any other type of assistance, please let us know before your arrival so we can make you and your family as comfortable as possible.
Check for illness
- Check to see if your child has a new rash, fever, cold or flu or has been exposed to chicken pox or tuberculosis (TB) in the last three weeks. If so, please call us as soon as possible at 937-641-3000 and ask to speak to someone in your child's clinic.
Prepare for billing
- For information on paying your bill, see Financial Matters.
Know how to get to your appointment
- Check the location of your clinic, test or procedure and visit Locations to obtain door-to-door directions, written directions and an area map.
- If you are traveling from out of town and need a place to stay, see Places to Stay. Some area motels and hotels offer discounts for Dayton Children’s patients.
- For help with directions, call 937-641-3000.
Know where to park
- Paid parking is available in front of the medical center. Parking is $2 per day. Parking passes can be purchased at a discount – seven for $10 – in the admitting office.
- If you will be coming and going in the same day, in-and-out passes are available from the parking attendant.
Make yourself at home
- See our Family and Visitor Guide to learn about our resources and services.
The DAISY award is awarded quarterly and recognizes extraordinary nurses. Nominate a nurse today!