nurse extern program
The Dayton Children's Hospital summer nurse extern program is a unique program combining on-the-job skills and nursing academics.
We understand your needs as a nursing student. Our summer nurse extern program provides you with the specific experiences and skills needed to be successful. About 75 percent of our externs end up staying on and working at Dayton Children's. We invite you to become a part of our specialized team who provides excellent pediatric nursing care!
what is involved in the summer nurse extern program?
- 9-weeks during the summer mentored clinical experience at Dayton Children's
- Weekly seminar of didactic lecture and classroom experience at Dayton Children's
- 36-40 paid hours per week
- College credits awarded and tuition payment for that course
- Externships are available in the following pediatric specialty areas:
- Behavioral health
- Emergency department
- Home care
- House float
- Pediatric intensive care unit (PICU)
- Perioperative services
- Newborn intensive care unit (NICU)
- Specialty pediatrics
- Transitional care unit (TCU)
- Currently enrolled at Wright State University or Cedarville University with graduation no later than the spring following your externship.
- If attending another accredited nursing program, you can still apply for the externship. If accepted into the program, you will need to enroll as a non-degree seeking student at Wright State University in order to participate in the program.
- Completion of all junior-level courses
- Completion of pediatric or maternal child rotation required
- Completed references from two nursing faculty members using the provided reference form.
Applications are being accepted for the Nurse Extern program between November 1, 2023 and January 5, 2024. Please view our job openings page for the application. Additional program details are in the program brochure.
Questions can be sent to Heather Seifert at firstname.lastname@example.org.