vice president for patient care services and chief nursing officer
Jayne Gmeiner, MS, RN, NEA-BC, is the vice president for patient care services and chief nursing officer at Dayton Children’s. As the chief nursing officer, Jayne supports the patient and family experience, leads strategic planning efforts for the nursing division and provides oversight of financial management for the nursing division. As the vice president for patient care services, Jayne provides operational oversight for all inpatient units including general pediatrics, the Almost Home Unit, hematology/oncology, pediatric intensive care and intermediate care units, newborn intensive care unit, perioperative services, the emergency department, nursing excellence, IV therapy and Children’s Home Care of Dayton.
Prior to joining Dayton Children’s, Jayne most recently held the role of director of professional practice at Premier Health System. She also held several leadership roles at Miami Valley Hospital over her 35 years of tenure including director of nursing excellence, director of integrated care management, and director of case management and staff development.
In her previous roles, she led the operations and development of Premier Health System’s shared governance model, peer review, and facilitated alignment of policy and procedures to nursing’s strategic goals, ensuring consistency across the system. Her previous experience also includes responsibility for leadership development, Magnet designation, patient-centered orientation, professional nursing development, EPIC clinical integration, nursing research programs, nursing recognition, disease management, geriatric, diabetes and palliative care programs.
Jayne’s career accomplishments include:
- Revitalization of Dayton Children’s Shared Governance Model, Career and Clinical Ladder Program, and Professional Image.
- Leading Miami Valley Hospital to Magnet® designation for nursing excellence in 2004 and redesignation in 2008 and 2013.
- Overseeing the complete continuum of care for patients including care coordination, discharge assessment/planning, home resources upon discharge and outcomes management.
- Participating in nursing excellence fundraising efforts, securing more than $1.1 million for the 13,000-square-foot Center for Nursing Excellence.
- Participating in the Ohio Action Coalition, led by the Ohio League for Nursing and the Ohio Hospital Association, to create innovative solutions where nurses are leading the way to address Ohio’s health challenges.
- Serving as a member of the American Organization of Nursing Executives, member of the Ohio Organization of Nurse Executive Board and past-president of the Dayton Ohio Organization for Nursing Executives.
- Jayne holds a master’s of science in nursing administration and a bachelor’s of science in nursing, both from Wright State University. Jayne’s evidence-based research in the profession of nursing has been published in the Journal of Nursing Administration, Heart and Lung and the Journal of Health Administration.
topics for media interviews:
- Nurse leadership
- Magnet designation
- Hospital inpatient leadership
If you are interested in speaking to one of our leaders or experts at Dayton Children's please contact Stacy Porter at 937-641-3666 or by email at email@example.com.