Dayton Children’s nurse receives DAISY Award for nursing excellence
The Children’s Medical Center of Dayton is pleased to announce that Erica Yanney, BSN, RN is this quarter’s recipient of the DAISY Award for nursing excellence. The DAISY Award recognizes nurses for their extraordinary acts of compassion and excellence in their works with patients, families, the community and their co-workers. Any nurse in any role at Dayton Children’s is eligible for a DAISY Award.
Yanney of Beavercreek is a nurse in the Almost Home unit and has been working at Dayton Children’s since 2008.
“Erica has a special gift of remembering how important it is to be a “kid" and even though my son is at the hospital for treatment,she brings out the carefree, fun loving side in my son” says Yanney’s nominator, the mother of a Dayton Children’s cancer patient. “Dayton Children's is blessed to have her on their staff. They don't get any better than her!”
&Yanney attended nursing school at Malone University in Canton, OH. She is active in the community volunteering at Eastview Baptist Center and is a member of Harvest Christian Fellowship where she participates in Harvest Youth Ministries.
“I am very grateful for the nomination and honored when I received the Daisy Award,” says Yanney. “I love being a nurse at Dayton Children’s because I get to be a kid too. I was a patient at Dayton Children’s when I was younger, and the nurses were the ones that made it a positive experience during a difficult time. I strive to make it as enjoyable an experience as the hospital can be, and interacting with play is the best way to accomplish that.”
Nominations for the DAISY Award can be made by anyone and are taken year round. The award is chosen by The Systems Council at Dayton Children’s and is presented quarterly.
The DAISY award may be given to any Dayton Children’s nurse, in good standing, who exemplifies the following:
- Works collaboratively with others
- Serves as a role model for the nursing profession
- Communicates clearly and effectively with all coworkers and patients/families
- Functions as an integral member of a team
- Creates an encouraging environment for others to learn
- Generates enthusiasm and energy towards meeting the challenges of nursing
- Works with others to achieve common goals and effect positive change
- Develops key relationships with others—including patients and families
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills with peers and co-workers
- Models empathy and demonstrates a caring attitude in all situations
- Demonstrates a commitment to the goals and mission of Dayton Children’s
- Strives to go above expectations in their role within Dayton Children’s
- Commitment to the highest standards of nursing
About The DAISY Foundation
DAISY is an acronym for Diseases Attacking the Immune System. The DAISY Foundation was formed in November, 1999, by the family of J. Patrick Barnes who died at age 33 of complications of Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP).The Foundation works to honor nurses, fund nursing research and honor nursing faculty. For more information please visit http://daisyfoundation.org/
For more information, contact:
Marketing Communications Specialist