Your local, trusted source of child health, developmental, safety and parenting information!
The MeadWestvaco Family Resource Center offers information and support for families. As a free-lending library, the center has a collection of books, reference materials, brochures, DVDs and internet-based resources available to you. The center staff will help you find information regarding your child’s health and safety, as well as parenting information and community resources. And if you need information in another language, the staff will help you with that as well.
The MeadWestvaco Family Resource Center also provides guest services. Families may use the center to check e-mail, access the internet, make a phone call or send a fax.
Materials available in the Dayton Children's MeadWestvaco Family Resource Center for
- specific illnesses
- chronic conditions or handicaps
- growth and development
- parenting and family issues
- coping with death, grief
- psychosocial issues
- health and safety information
Materials are available for both children and adults. Information provided is intended for the layperson. The staff of Dayton Children's Family Resource Center is available to help you locate information on a specific topic, but cannot interpret medical information provided. Parents, families and individuals should discuss this information with their pediatrician, family doctor or other health care professional.
Services offered in the MeadWestvaco Family Resource Center
- Information searches - learn more about your child's diagnoses, ongoing health issue, general child health, safety, parenting and more
- Private area to view child health, safety and parenting DVDs
- Connect to community resource and support groups
- Car seat checks by appointment
- Community events and education programming coordinated
- Movies and video games for hospitalized kids
- View child health, safety or parenting videos onsite
- Free books for leisure reading and a book exchange program (bring in a gently used book and take one of our leisure reading books)
- Child safety products available in the Kids Care shop
- You may also set up a a free CaringBridge web page to help you stay in touch with family and friends during your child’s stay at Dayton Children’s
- Locate support groups and agencies in the communities who help children and families
- Convenient to patient relations and hospital chaplain
- Six guest computer stations
- Trained staff and volunteers to help with information searches
Donate to the MeadWestvaco Family Resource Center
The MeadWestvaco Family Resource Center (FRC) was made possible with a generous gift from the MeadWestvaco Foundation. Ongoing support for FRC operations has been provided by The Little Exchange (a fine gift shop in Oakwood), Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Miami Valley and other organizations and individuals.
The MeadWestvaco Family Resource Center relies on your donations to continue offering free services to children, parents, families and community organizations. We are constantly in need of new materials for our collection--from Disney movies, to PS2 games, to the latest child cancer treatment information.
View our wish list
To donate contact the development office at 937-641-3405 .
MeadWestvaco Family Resource Center Location and Hours
First floor, main lobby (by the saltwater aquarium)
- Monday 9:00 am to 8:00 pm
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Saturday 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Closed Sunday and holidays
If these hours are not convenient, special arrangements can be made to visit the Family Resource Center. In addition, requests can be made by phone or by filling out a form from the box outside the door.
937-641-3700 or by e-mail for information or special appointment