Safe Kids Buckle Up is a national program developed by Safe Kids Worldwide and sponsored by Chevrolet and General Motors to educate parents and caregivers about the importance of properly restraining children on every ride. The program has reached more than 13 million individuals, inspected more than 880,000 car seats at 42,000 car seat checkup events around the country and donated approximately 365,000 car seats to families in need.
Through the Safe Kids Buckle Up program, Safe Kids Greater Dayton and coalition members have:
- checked more than 1,500 car seats in the community for proper use
- replaced or distributed more than 300 seats to families in need through the generosity of our partners including The Junior League of Dayton POWER Program
- conducted over 50 community car seat checks throughout the seven county region
In and Around Cars
Safe Kids Greater Dayton also educates the community about the dangers for children in and around cars. Safe Kids Buckle Up addresses the three ways children can be injured in non-traffic related incidents in and around cars:
- Spot the Tot: Preventing "Backover" or "frontover" accidents. Many of these preventable injuries and deaths occur in driveways or parking lots when drivers are unaware children are near vehicles.
- Never Leave Your Child Alone: Educating parents about the dangers of leaving children unattended in a vehicle. Unfortunately, a child left alone in a car can easily become overheated - a situation that can lead to a tragedy.
- Preventing Trunk Entrapment: Teaching parents and children about the dangers of unlocked cars and trunks. Children need to be taught that a vehicle is not a place to play or hide.
While the majority of deaths to children involving motor vehicles are traffic related, approximately ten percent of deaths are reported as non-traffic related. Non-traffic related deaths include children killed in driveways, parking lots and on sidewalks, as well as other off-road locations. They are generally pedestrians but may also be on bikes or other wheeled toys or vehicles. The In and Around Cars program addresses these tragic accidents.
For more information about Safe Kids Buckle Up or In and Around Cars contact Safe Kids Greater Dayton coordinator, Jessica Saunders at 937-641-3385.