Media Release: Indoor winter safety

Print this page Bookmark and Share
Indoor winter safety

01-03-2012 (Dayton, OH) -

Every year children are bundled up to keep warm; supervised while sledding and prohibited from skating on unstable ice.  However, precautions inside the home are often overlooked, causing countless injuries.  Because this is such a cold time of year, parents’ main priority is keeping their children inside and away from the elements.  Yet, it is the devices used in doing so which are the source injuries such as space heater burns, which Dayton Children’s treat each year.

Proper use of heating devices can not only prevent burns but also prevent encounters with lethal gases like carbon monoxide.  While being informed and implementing preventative steps can make a difference, nothing can take the place of engaged supervision.  With the quick turn of a parents head, children can easily get into anything.  See the information below for more tips on keeping your child safe indoors.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – invisible and can kill in minutes

Caused by

  • Burning of any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal
  • Misuse or use of broken fuel-burning appliances

Symptoms

  • Severe headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Mental confusion
  • Nausea
  • Feeling faint
  • Shortness of breath

What to do

  • Get fresh air immediately – leave house and leave windows and doors open
  • Go to the Emergency Room – a simple blood test can be done to detect poison

Prevention

  • Install Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms in every sleeping area
  • Have all fuel-burning appliances inspected every year before use
  • Carefully follow any instructions or cautions that come with products
  • Do not keep a car running in a garage, even with the garage door open
  • Don’t use a gas oven to heat your home, even for a short time
  • Don’t use a charcoal grill inside, even in a fireplace
  • Don’t sleep in any room with an unvented gas or kerosene space heater
  • Don’t use any gasoline-powered engines (mowers, weed trimmers, snow blowers, chain saws, small engines or generators) in enclosed spaces
  • Don’t ignore symptoms, particularly if more than one person is feeling them, as loss of consciousness or death could result

Staying safe and warm

            Devices we often use to stay warm are a common source of severe injuries for children and pets.  The following are suggested precautions you should take.

Space Heaters Dos and Don’ts

  • Use a space heater that has been tested to the latest safety standards and has been certified by a nationally recognized testing laboratory.
  • Always follow the manufacturer’s directions for proper use.
  • Place the heater on a level, hard, nonflammable surface, such as a ceramic tile floor.
  • Keep the heater at least three feet away from bedding, drapes, furniture, and other flammable materials.
  • Keep children and pets away from space heaters.
  • Turn the heater off if you leave the area.
  • Never leave a space heater on when you go to sleep.
  • Don’t place a space heater close to any sleeping person.
  • Never use gasoline in a kerosene space heater, as even small amounts of gasoline mixed with kerosene can increase the risk of fire.
  • Don’t use portable propane space heaters indoors or in any confined space unless they are specifically designed for indoor use.

Fireplace Safety

  • Have your chimney or wood stove inspected and cleaned annually by a certified chimney specialist.
  • Clear the area around the hearth of debris, decorations and flammable materials.
  • Leave glass doors open while burning a fire.
  • Close glass doors when the fire is out to keep air from the chimney opening from getting into the room.
  • Metal mesh screen should be closed when the glass doors are open, keeping embers from getting out of the fireplace area.
  • Always use a metal mesh screen with fireplaces that do not have a glass fireplace door
  • Never restrict air supply to fireplaces. Otherwise you may cause creosote buildup that could lead to a chimney fire.
  • Use fire-resistant materials on walls around wood stoves.
  • Explain to your child why they need to stay away from the fireplace and keep close supervision anytime a fireplace is in use

With cold winter temperatures, parents are always concerned with keeping their children warm and snug.  However, it is equally important for them to be kept safe indoors.  By taking the above precautions, you are on the right track to keeping your child safe and healthy this season.

Related information:

For more information, contact:
Grace Rodney
Marketing Communications Specialist
Phone: 937-641-3666
marketing@childrensdayton.org

 

We believe there are 18 ways we're just right for our region's kids! Learn more and share your story at justrightforkids.org.

Upcoming Events

Crafts, games, diabetes vendors, a child-firendly research update, plus a visit from a Type 1 Santa!

Any family affected by autism is welcome to attend. RSVP now.

Car Seat Safety Check

Free event for anyone affected by type 1 diabetes in southern Indiana, southern Ohio and northern Kentucky.

View full event calendarView full event calendar

About Dayton Children's

The right care for the right reasons

Accreditations

The Children's Medical Center of Dayton Dayton Children's
The Right Care for the Right Reasons

One Children's Plaza - Dayton, Ohio - 45404-1815
937-641-3000
www.childrensdayton.org