07-20-2009 (Dayton, OH) -
The recall of about one million Kolcraft play yards on July 8, 2009, was only the most recent in a series of crib, bassinet and play yard recalls totaling almost 2.5 million units since the start of 2009.
The large number of recalls for children's sleeping products in the first half of 2009 is alarming, and parents should regularly check children's products against the Consumer Product Safety Commission's recall list to keep the sleeping environment as safe as possible.
According to Dayton Children's and Safe Kids Greater Dayton, all parents should do two things immediately:
- Check www.recalls.gov to make sure your child's crib, bassinet or play yard has not been recalled.
- Sign up for the CPSC's email list to be alerted to new recalls as they are announced.
If a parent or caregiver is going to use a second-hand crib from a friend, relative or yard sale, Safe Kids Greater Dayton and Dayton Children's encourages them to first check and see if that model has been recalled for safety reasons.
"The danger to infants and young children caused by recalled products is a danger that we as parents and child safety advocates can combat, at least partially, by increasing our own awareness. Manufacturers of sleep environment products should also pay attention to the special durability needs of cribs, bassinets, and play yards," says Jessica Saunders, Safe Kids Greater Dayton coordinator.
The crib, bassinet, and play yard units that have been recalled this year posed serious hazards for children including entrapment, suffocation, strangulation, fall and asphyxiation.
Sleep products included in recalls this year are:
- January 6, 2009 - Jardine Cribs - 56,450 units
- January 13, 2009 - Stork Craft Baby Cribs - 535,000 units
- January 15, 2009 - Fisher-Price Simplicity Rainforest Portable Play Yards - 200,000 units
- April 2, 2009 - SunKids Convertible Cribs - 1,900 units
- April 7, 2009 - Simplicity Play Yards - 25,000 units
- April 30, 2009- Jardine Cribs - 96,000 units
- May 13, 2009 - Eddie Bauer Play Yards with Rocking Bassinets - 71,000 units
- June 9, 2009 - LaJobi Drop-Side Cribs - 2,900 units
- June 9, 2009 - LaJobi Drop-Side Cribs - 2,000 units
- July 2, 2009 - Simplicity Drop-Side Cribs - 400,000 units
- July 8, 2009 - Kolcraft Play Yards - 1,000,000 units
"We want to avoid the situation where a child is injured or killed because a product wasn't removed from their environment as soon as it was recalled," said Saunders.
"Our hope is that once parents become more aware of the product recall system and how to obtain the most recent product safety information, tragic injuries and deaths caused by defective products can be avoided."
"We also want to remind parents the importance of creating a safe sleep environment for children by following the ABC's of safe sleep - Alone, on their Back and in a Crib," says Saunders.
"By paying attention to product recalls and following these tips we can reduce the number one killer of children in the Miami Valley, unsafe sleep practices."
For information on product recalls as well as tips on crib and sleep safety from Safe Kids USA, please visit www.usa.safekids.org and click on "product recalls."
About Safe Kids Greater Dayton
Safe Kids Greater Dayton works to prevent accidental childhood injury, the leading killer of children 14 and younger. Safe Kids Greater Dayton is a member of Safe Kids Worldwide, a global network of organizations dedicated to preventing accidental injury. Safe Kids Greater Dayton was founded in 1994 and is led by The Children's Medical Center of Dayton. For more information, log on to www.childrensdayton.org/cms/safekids.
For more information, contact:
Marketing Communications Department
We believe there are 18 ways we're just right for our region's kids! Learn more and share your story at justrightforkids.org.