Speech/language therapy specializes in evaluating and treating problems such as articulation, oral motor, voice and language disorders. Therapy sessions are typically 30 minutes in length, one session per week.
We employ one of only 19 pediatric board recognized specialists in swallowing and swallowing disorders in the world.
Medical Director: Eileen Kasten, MD
Director: Terry Wiegel, MS, CCC-SLP
Diagnoses or conditions treated
- Acquired brain injury
- Auditory processing disorders
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Cleft palate/craniofacial anomalies
- Cochlear implant
- Feeding and swallowing disorders
- Hearing disorders
- Language disorders
- Language-based reading disorders
- Speech disorders
- Swallowing disorders
- Voice disorders
- Speech/language evaluation and treatment
- Oral motor evaluation and treatment
- Video swallow studies
- Feeding treatment
- Passey-Muir evaluation and treatment
- Alternative augmentative communication evaluation and treatment
Alternative and augmentative communication (AAC)
This program is for children who are unable to effectively communicate their needs, thoughts or feelings through speech due to cerebral palsy, traumatic brain injury, mental impairment or neurological dysfunction. Referral: Prescription for a speech language pathologist, which states the need for alternative/augmentative communication.
Modified barium swallow studies
A speech/language pathologist works with the radiologist to evaluate oral and pharyngeal structure and function for swallowing. Suggestions for alterations in positioning, food presentation or diet are given to the physician after the study. The speech/language pathologist performing this study undergoes extensive training and yearly competency checks. Referral: A prescription from the physician is required. The order should state "modified barium swallow with speech/language pathology present."
This list is not an endorsement by Dayton Children's for the company or website listed.
- The American Speech and Hearing Association
- Ohio Speech Language and Hearing Association
- Parent resources for information on a variety of speech/language disorders and finding a professional
- Speech / language development
- Apraxia of speech
- Super Duper
- Auditory Processing Disorder
- Talk Tools
- Ohio speech and language hearing association
- Dayton Families for Effective Autism Treatment
- Swallowing disorders
The Specialty Board on Swallowing and Swallowing Disorders is a national board which provides recognition to speech-language pathologists with advanced knowledge and skills for evaluating and treating children with swallowing disorders. The Children's Medical Center of Dayton supports specialty recognition, employs speech-language pathologists who hold the credential, and encourages all speech-language pathologists on staff to strive to achieve this recognition.
Sign up for Pediatric Link
Finding the latest trusted child health and safety information doesn't have to be hard. Pediatric Link, Dayton Children's e-newsletter offers timely and up-to-date information for health care professionals from the experts you trust at Dayton Children's. Sign up