The department of pediatric radiology, medical imaging and nuclear medicine at Dayton Children’s offers a full spectrum of diagnostic imaging for pediatric patients. The pediatric radiologists are assisted by technologists and staff trained in working with infants, children and teenagers.
The pediatric radiology department has state-of-the-art equipment designed to perform diagnostic examinations with a minimum of radiation exposure to patients. An onsite MRI is available, offering the highest quality images with child-friendly features.
In many cases, parents can be with their child during the examination, and children are encouraged to bring their own music or stories to play on the specially designed sound system. Dayton Children's is one of just 50 hospitals in the country and the only one in the Dayton area to offer MRI video and audio to help children relax.
In medical radiation, one size does not fit all. The Children’s Medical Center of Dayton is a strong advocate for safe and low dose radiation for children. When possible, Dayton Children’s will use non radiation producing imaging tools to assess a patient’s condition.
Services We Offer
- CT (64 slice high resolution multidetector helical scanning)
- CT angiography
- CT bone density (volumetric quantitative) - short helical CT is performed through the L1 and L2 vertebral bodies measures bone density
- MRI angiography
- Diagnostic radiology procedures:
- Voiding cystourethrogram (VCUG)
- Upper gastrointestinal series (UGI)
- Small bowel series (SBFT)
- Esophagram/barium swallow
- Barium swallow with speech therapist
- Intravenous urogram (IVU/IVP)
- Barium enema
- Therapeutic air enema for intussusceptions
- Nasal gastric-tube placement
- Interventional Procedures:
- Lumbar punctures
- PICC line insertions
- Percutaneous biopsies
- Percutaneous abscess drains
- Percutaneous chest tubes
- Nuclear medicine procedures:
- Bone scan
- Renal and GFR scan
- Lung ventilation and perfusion scan
- Nuclear cystogram
- Tumor imaging
- Gastric emptying
- Meckel’s scan
- Hepatobiliary (HIDA) scan
- Thyroid scan
- Cisternography (shunt)
- Cardiac imaging
All studies, including from the five off-site locations, are sent to PACS (Picture Archiving and Communication System) to be stored, distributed and viewed electronically.
Meet Our Team
Prepare Your Child
- View videos and read test preparation materials for medical imaging procedures to help prepare your child for an upcoming procedure.
- FAQs about radiation doses during CT scans
- Review these books for kids:
What is a CAT scan?
What is an MRI?
In most cases a referral from a physician is required. Not all medical imaging services are available at all locations. Call 937-641-4000 to schedule an appointment.
Dayton Pediatric Imaging is a private practice located at Dayton Children's. It may not accept the same health insurance plans as Dayton Children's.
- Dayton Children's - Main Campus
- Outpatient Testing Center - Beavercreek
- Outpatient Testing Center - Kettering
- Specialty Care Center - Warren County
- Urgent Care - Springboro
- Outpatient Testing Center - Vandalia
Finding trusted child health and safety information doesn't have to be hard. eGrowing Together offers the latest health, safety and parenting information from our experts delivered to your inbox every month.