Dayton Children’s speech/language pathology department specializes in evaluating and treating problems such as articulation, oral motor, voice and language disorders. Standard and nonstandard testing helps therapists to determine the level of function and the therapy needed. Therapy sessions are typically 30 minutes in length and held once a week.
Speech and language pathologists hold master's degrees and are licensed by the State of Ohio. We employ one of only 19 pediatric board recognized specialists in swallowing and swallowing disorders in the world.
Conditions We Treat
- Acquired brain injury
- Auditory processing disorders
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Cleft palate/craniofacial anomalies
- Cochlear implant
- Feeding and swallowing disorders
- Hearing disorders
- Language disorders
- Language-based reading disorders
- Speech disorders
- Swallowing disorders
- Voice disorders
Services We Offer
- Speech/language evaluation and treatment
- Oral motor evaluation and treatment
- Video swallow studies
- Feeding treatment
- Passey-Muir valve evaluation and treatment
- Alternative augmentative communication evaluation and treatment
- Alternative and augmentative communication (AAC) for children up to 13 years old who are unable to effectively communicate their needs, thoughts or feelings through speech due to cerebral palsy, traumatic brain injury, mental impairment or neurological dysfunction.
- Modified barium swallow studies in which a speech and language pathologist works with the radiologist to evaluate oral and pharyngeal structure and function for swallowing. Suggestions for alterations in positioning, food presentation or diet are given to the physician after the study.
- The American Speech and Hearing Association
- Ohio Speech Language and Hearing Association
- Parent resources for information on a variety of speech/language disorders and finding a professional
- Speech / language development
- Apraxia of speech
- Super Duper
- Auditory Processing Disorder
- Ohio speech and language hearing association
- Swallowing disorders
- Speech/language disorders
For additional information about speech/language/feeding and/or hearing problems in children, please visit the consumer section of the American Speech and Hearing Association at http://www.asha.org/ or the Ohio Speech Language and Hearing Association at http://www.ohioslha.org/.
The Specialty Board on Swallowing and Swallowing Disorders is a national board which provides recognition to speech-language pathologists with advanced knowledge and skills for evaluating and treating children with swallowing disorders. The Children's Medical Center of Dayton supports specialty recognition, employs speech-language pathologists who hold the credential, and encourages all speech-language pathologists on staff to strive to achieve this recognition.
Meet Our Team
Medical Director: Eileen Kasten, MD
Director: Terry Wiegel, MS, CCC-SLP
Appointments are made by referral only from a physician.
Finding trusted child health and safety information doesn't have to be hard. eGrowing Together offers the latest health, safety and parenting information from our experts delivered to your inbox every month.