Asthma is a chronic lung disorder that causes airways (the tubes that carry air into and out of the lungs) to become inflamed, which means that they swell and produce lots of thick mucus. The muscles surrounding the airways also tend to tighten, which makes the already clogged airways even narrower. This results in asthma symptoms, which can include coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. In a person with asthma, the airways are overly sensitive to certain things (such as allergies, viral infections, cold air, exercise, and smoke) that can "trigger," or bring on, asthma symptoms. People with asthma often find that their symptoms come and go - when the symptoms are present, it's known as a flare, flare-up, episode, exacerbation, or attack.
- Are Metered-Dose Asthma Inhalers Safe?
- Asthma Action Plan
- Asthma Basics
- Asthma Diary
- First Aid: Asthma Flare-Ups
- Asthma More Likely to Improve Over Time for Boys Than Girls
- Asthma and Teens
- Can Kids and Teens With Asthma Play Sports?
- Can the Weather Affect My Child's Asthma?
- Creating an Asthma-Safe Home
- Dealing With Asthma Triggers
- Do Allergies Cause Asthma?
- Exercise-Induced Asthma
- Handling an Asthma Flare-Up
- If My Child Has Asthma, Can We Keep Our Pet?
- Inhaler or Nebulizer: Which One Should My Child Use?
- Kids With Asthma Breathe Easier Away From Air Pollution
- Managing Asthma
- Ozone, Air Quality, and Asthma
Visit our blog!
Visit the Dr. Mom Squad blog to join in the conversation with our experts! You will hear from four local women who have two big things in common; they are all doctors and they are all moms!
Kohl's Cares® Merchandise
Every season, Kohl's offers special items for sale with all profits donated to children's hospitals – including Dayton Children’s. You can view the entire collection of stuffed animals, books and much more at Kohl's Cares® Merchandise.
Free parenting enewsletter
Finding trusted child health and safety information doesn't have to be hard. eGrowing Together offers the latest health, safety and parenting information from our experts delivered to your inbox every month.